Skip to content


HOME DAMAGED — Firefighters extinguished hot spots as Union City Fire Chief Karl Ullrich (far left) came around the back of a home at 608 South Ury St. in Union City during a fire that broke out about 3:35 p.m. Friday. Firefighters reported seeing smoke while en route and arrived to find heavy flames coming from the back of the house. The fire was quickly knocked down by fire personnel, with Rives and South Fulton fire departments responding via auto aid to assist UC firefighters, according to a Union City Fire Department report. All occupants safely exited the house, but Baptist Union City EMS responded to check one resident for possible smoke inhalation. A cat rescued by firefighters was given oxygen at the scene and reportedly taken to a veterinarian for treatment. Fire officials said a heater, plugged into an outlet with an extension cord, is believed to have caused the fire. The rental house is owned by Bobbie Jane Adams. The American Red Cross was contacted for support of the family which occupied the home. Firefighters were on the scene until nearly 5:30 p.m.

Chris Menees/The Messenger

Leave a Comment