FFA chapter honors students
Posted: Tuesday, May 7, 2013 8:00 pm
The Obion County Central High School FFA chapter recently held its annual banquet to recognize students for work performed and awards won throughout the school year.
Special awards were given to Elizabeth Driver as Star Greenhand and Ben Holland as Star Chapter Farmer.
The horse judging team — including Mary Helen Driver, Caleb Walker, Carly Whipple and Carrie Wilson — was recognized for its first place regional win, with Miss Whipple was honored for her second highest individual score in that competition.
Mary Helen Driver was also recognized for her first-place regional win and second placing at the state level in prepared public speaking.
For their hard work and dedication to the OCCHS FFA Chapter, Brenda Baker and Matthew Dickinson were awarded Honorary Chapter Degrees.
Among the students recognized for work throughout the year were:
• Parker Albright — junior FFA reporter, opening and closing ceremonies and livestock exhibitor;
• Christian Bloxom — junior FFA reporter, agricultural marketing team and opening and closing ceremonies team;
• Ashley Brooks — livestock exhibitor and equine entrepreneurship proficiency;
• Gage Brown — livestock judging team;
• Savannah Brown — vet science, small animal care and production placement proficiency;
• Libby Carpenter — livestock exhibitor and farm business management team;
• Molly Carpenter — livestock exhibitor, farm business management and nursery team;
• Miller Coleman — junior FFA sentinel, agricultural marketing team and opening and closing ceremonies team;
• Nancy Davis — chapter secretary, beef production entrepreneurship, livestock judging team, nursery team, parliamentary procedure, vet science team, agricultural sales and livestock exhibitor;
• Mary Helen Driver — chapter president, horse judging, parliamentary procedure, poultry judging, nursery judging, agriculture education proficiency and livestock judging (high individual).
• Daniel Finch — forestry team (second high individual) and opening and closing ceremonies team;
• Joe Fultz — land judging team and forestry team;
• Whisper Gardiner — agricultural sales, parliamentary procedure, floriculture and farm business management;
• Austin Holland — 2012 Washington Leadership Conference participant, forestry team and poultry judging team;
• Ben Holland — parliamentary procedure, extemporaneous speaking and 2012 Washington Leadership Conference participant;
• Bennett King — junior FFA treasurer, agricultural marketing team, opening and closing ceremonies team, livestock judging team and livestock exhibitor;
• Heather Lawrence — floriculture team and vet science team;
• Shelly Pate — chapter vice president, 2012 Washington Leadership Conference participant, agricultural sales, floriculture team, diversified horticulture proficiency, livestock exhibitor, farm business management and parliamentary procedure;
• Kaitlynn Southerland — junior FFA secretary, nursery team, opening and closing ceremonies team and livestock exhibitor;
• Logan Stephens — livestock exhibitor;
• Caleb Walker — chapter sentinel, horse judging, forestry team and livestock exhibitor;
• Carrie Wilson — chapter vice president, floriculture, horse judging, agricultural marketing, job interview, livestock exhibitor, parliamentary procedure and livestock judging
• Carly Whipple — chapter reporter, livestock judging, horse judging, swine production entrepreneurship proficiency (second in region) and livestock exhibitor.
Among the retiring FFA officers who were thanked for their service were Mary Helen Driver, who served as president; Miss Davis, who was secretary; and Stephens, who was treasurer.
FFA chapter officers for 2013-14 include president, Miss Pate; vice presidents, Miss Wilson and Miss Whipple; secretary, Elizabeth Driver; treasurer — Kaitlynn, Miss Southerland; reporters, Molly Carpenter and Miss Albright; and sentinel, Walker.
Allan Stephens was also recognized for his service with the FFA alumni. He is retiring as FFA alumni president.
New FFA alumni officers are president, Bobby Berner; vice president, Paul Albright; secretary, Suzanne Hopper; and treasurers, Candy Whipple and Kay Fultz.
The next FFA alumni meeting will be held May 14 at 7 p.m. in the Community Agricultural Learning Center, located behind the baseball field. All parents and supporters of the FFA are invited to attend. Participants of the alumni group do not have to be former FFA members.
Published in The Messenger 5.7.13