County meeting set
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2013 5:11 pm
The Messenger, April 30, 2013
The Obion County Budget Committee will meet 9 a.m. Monday in the basement conference room of the Obion County Courthouse in Union City.
Items on the agenda include:
• a report on energy/lighting grant proposal for county government buildings (to be considered part of the 2013-14 fiscal year budget);
• two resolutions from Obion County School System director of schools David Huss to amend the General Purpose fund in the amounts of $105,000 and $270,000;
• a request from Elections Administrator Leigh Schlager for a budget transfer in the General Fund in the amount of $2,000;
• a request from Sheriff Jerry Vastbinder for a budget transfer for the sheriff in the amount of $7,500, for courthouse security in the amount of $200 and for the Obion County jail in the amount of $3,100 in the General Fund and $2,500 in the Drug Fund;
• a resolution for the transfer of budget items from one category (jail) to another (sheriff) by Vastbinder in the General Fund in the amount of $1,055;
• a resolution to authorize an application for a litter and trash collection grant for fiscal year 2013-14;
• a request from Solid Waste Director Mike Cary for a budget transfer in the Solid Waste Fund in the amount of $4,825 and the problem waste centers in the amount of $750;
• a resolution to adopt a continuing budget and tax rate for the fiscal year beginning July 1 for Obion County;
• a request from Trustee Lori Seals to release the delinquent taxes for year 2011;
• a discussion of the Goodyear shooting range;
• information on the county beginning teaching driving education classes July 1, 2013;
• information on the county’s effort to levy a local litigation tax (jail tax) on July 1 on all court cases, with the tax to be set aside for the purpose of upgrading air conditioning and heating units and for lighting and repairs to the roof at the jail and for the the lighting of the courthouse, as well;
• a discussion by the property assessor, Judy Smith, and Bedford Dunavant concerning why the abatement reports from some entities are not filed with the county;
• notary public applications;
• any other matter brought before the committee.
The meeting is open to the public.
Boards and committees to be considered for the May term include:
• Library Board (now serving, Mary Ann Hime and Mike Cox);
• Highway Board (now serving Jim Thorpe);
• Nursing Home Board (now serving, Janis Lacewell, Dr. Bobby Williams, Tracey Batey, Ernest Daniels, Timmy Gant, the Rev. Terry Council and Sonny Yarbrough;
• West Tennessee Railroad Authority (now serving, Art Chivers and County Mayor Benny McGuire);
• Audit committee appointment — John Miles.
Committees and boards to be considered in the July term:
• county coroner (now serving, Skipper White);
• board of hospital governors — Gene Spurlock;
• Reelfoot Lake Tourism Council — Janis Cunningham.