|Memory Lane (April 1981) |
|Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 9:05 am |
|Scanning the archives, we find that the following items were reported in The Press throughout April 1981: |
• Lisa Martin, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Byron Coleman, was crowned Miss Martin. Her court included third runner-up Cheryl Johnson, first runner-up Susie Ellis and second runner-up Tomi Blom.
• Randal Benderman was The Press’ general manager, and Robert Nanney was the editor.
• Sixth grade 4-H public speakers include Vickie Cochran (Greenfield), Rita Perry (Greenfield), Paula Hearn (Greenfield), Dee Dee Weidenbach (Dresden), Christie Cook (Martin), Christa Ward (Greenfield), April Leffler (Gleason), Robert Wright (Gleason), Gina Salmon (Dresden), Shantell Parnell (Dresden), Michelle Williams (Gleason), Chris Moeller (Martin) and Stephanie Coble (Martin).
• Miss Kim Blackburn, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Blackburn of Dresden, was selected to participate in the Miss Milan Crown and Scepter Pageant.
• Britt Blackburn, the 10-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. John Blackburn of Dresden, had recently served as the personal page to Ned R. McWherter.
• Members of the Westview Chargers baseball team included Greg McMillin, Chris Butler, Bryan Kelly, Brent Pate, Steve Stanford, Chip Smith, Scott Bolding, Ken Landry, manager Sky McCracken, batboy Rick Wilson Jr., Mark Swaim, Martin Newby, Steve Brown, Osvaldo Font, Dennis Adams, Mike Swaim, Randy Finney, Larry Nunley, Rob Scott and Coach Rick Wilson Sr.
• Local delegates to the 48th Representative Assembly of the Tennessee Education Association were county teachers Ron Gifford of Dresden High, Charlyne Blackshear of Gleason Elementary, Katana Hawks of Martin Primary, Joan Pritchett of Martin Junior High, Wanda Powell of Dresden High, Charlotte Buckley of Martin Elementary, Gene Trevathan of Palmersville School, Harriet Beeler, Vic Lee and Joy Bone.
• Mrs. Jean Doughty of Route 3 in Martin was named the Martin “Bus Driver of the Year.” Martin Pilot Club representative Dot McGehee presented the award to Doughty, driver of Bus 8.
• Five area secretaries were honored as “Secretaries of the Day” during National Secretaries’ Week. They were: Claudia Dykes of Volunteer General Hospital, Irene Pflueger of the UTM athletics department, Helen Lemond of the UTM nursing department, Doris Nanney of the County Court Clerk’s Office and Betty Unger of the UTM facilities planning office.
• Mr. and Mrs. W.G. Rudd celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary April 26. Eula Mae Horn and W.G. Rudd were married at 3 p.m. on Sunday, April 26, 1931 in Fulton, Ky.
• The 1981-82 reigning Sharon Jr. Royalty were first beau Chris Gordon, first belle Amy Simmons, king Jeff Freeman, queen Melissa Copley, second beau Jason Brigance and second belle Christi Garner.
• Thomas L. Bullington, 85, of Martin was elected Legionnaire of the Year by UTM’s American Legion Post 69.
• Greenfield High School students visited the UTM campus on Greenfield’s Senior Visitation Day. The students were Karen Flowers, Lynne Walker, Rose Lena Gearing, Suzann Swindell, Angela Michael, Jamie L. Shane, Donna Monroe, Belinda Brooke, Terri Skelton, Pam Galey, Tracy Stevenson, Judy Cappell, Kevin W. Cates, Gary Lewis, Johnath Dexter, Shane and Jackie Dobson, Tommy Cooper, Michael Yeargin, Tim Darnell, Forrest Rachels, Jimmy Taylor, Scott Simms and Randall Rickman.
• Bob Stewart of Martin, a district switchman, was recognized for 15 years of service with General Telephone Company. The award was presented by his supervisor, David Sudberry.
• The lovely home of Mrs. Bill Maiden on West Main in Greenfield was the setting for the April 14 regular meeting of Circle No. 1 of the First Presbyterian Women’s Association.
• Mrs. Faye Brooks hosted the regular meeting of Group No. 3 of the Greenfield United Methodist Women.
• Members of the first edition of the Gleason High School baseball team were Troy Belew, Wendell Verdell, Jerry Summers, Danny Barham, Marty Poole, Tracy Belew, Mike Garner, coach Terry Van Meter, Wayne Robbins, Ricky Mayo, Mike Shaw, Rod Garner, Don Goodlow, Terry Parham, David Dunning, Randy Baker, Zac Montgomery and statistician Kim Mangrove.
• Westview High School seniors making the first honor roll were Lana VanCleave, Jerry King, Anisa Evans, Keith Fowler, Roger Fuller, Angie Winstead, Beck Snider, Marion Windham, Jane Kao, Jenny Crockett, Randy Myrick, Laura Spencer and Misti Davis.
• Nine former Miss Martins were honored guests of the Pilot Club at the 35th annual Miss Martin Beauty Pageant. As a special feature of the evening, they modeled the gowns they wore when crowned. Former Miss Martin attending were Cindy Freeman (Miss Martin 1979), Senna Davidson (1977), Pam Boyte Edwards (1971), Gloria Lykins Adams (1967), Nancy Knott Reynolds (1957), Shirley Grooms Swaim (1958), Mary Elder Hicks Fowler (1959), Sharon Forsythe (1980) and Norma Tuck Lawver (1960).