Minor fire extinguished
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2013 5:00 pm
The Messenger, April 15, 2013
Union City firefighters quickly extinguished a minor fire near a natural gas substation Saturday evening in rural Obion County.
The incident occurred at West Highway 22 and Shawtown Road, west of Union City, where the Union City Fire Department responded to a report of a brush fire.
Union City Fire Chief Kelly Edmison said the minor incident involved an old dead stub of a tree and a couple bales of hay alongside the road. It was unknown who set the fire.
He said there was no immediate danger of the fire spreading to the gas substation, and firefighters extinguished the small blaze with the use of the fire department’s brush truck and a minimal amount of water.
“It wasn’t in danger of going anywhere,” he said.
After being contacted by The Messenger this morning, Edmison said he was extremely surprised to hear of some weekend broadcast news reports which made the situation seem much worse than it actually was.
“The fire was put out with a brush truck and maybe 50 to 75 gallons of water, at the most,” he said.