Skip to content

Officer hurt in Martin bar fight

Officer hurt in Martin bar fight
A police officer was injured early Sunday while trying to help break up a large fight at a downtown Martin bar.
The incident occurred shortly after 2 a.m. Sunday at Cheers at 627 North Lindell St. in Martin, where a Union City man was among those charged by police.
Several officers from the Martin Police Department, University of Tennessee at Martin Department of Public Safety and Weakley County Sheriff’s Department had responded to a report of a large fight inside the bar. They arrived to find a large group of people fighting and hitting one another, with some of them having sustained obvious injuries, according to a Martin Police Department press release.
During officers’ attempts to stop the fighting, Martin police Sgt. Mike Wenz was struck in the face with a glass bottle. He sustained injuries to his face and was treated and released from Volunteer Community Hospital in Martin after receiving a few stitches, police reported.
At least two rounds were reported to have been fired by unknown suspects in the parking lot near North Lindell Street during the altercation, according to police. There were no injuries reported in connection with the gunshots and no further information about who fired those shots is available at this time.
During the incident, Floyd C. Stewart of Pinson was arrested for aggravated assault — as a result of the injuries sustained by the police officer — and disorderly conduct.
In addition, Jasmine N. Hester of Memphis was arrested for public intoxication and Willie S. Huff Jr. of Union City was issued a misdemeanor citation for disorderly conduct after being treated for minor injuries he received during the fight inside the bar.
Several other patrons had minor injuries and other reports were filed in reference to assaults that occurred during the bar fight. It took officers an additional half hour to clear the parking lot at the bar and subsequent crowds at other locations around town after the bar had been closed for the evening, police reported.
Published in The Messenger 2.26.13

Leave a Comment