Skip to content

Youth forgives attackers

Youth forgives attackers

Posted: Friday, February 15, 2013 8:00 pm

MEMPHIS (AP) — A Memphis teenager said he harbors no hatred toward three older youths who beat him and stole his cellphone.
At a Juvenile Court hearing on Wednesday, the judge accepted guilty pleas from a 16-year-old and a 17-year-old. A third attacker remains unidentified.
Quintravius Flowers told The Commercial Appeal ( he was listening to music on his phone outside Wooddale High School on Jan. 23 when a teen he didn’t know grabbed his phone. When Flowers tried to get his phone back, he was attacked from behind by another youth and a third one, whom he didn’t see.
The youth got a broken eye socket, a fractured jaw and a gash on his nose that took 13 stitches to close. He was in Lebonheur Children’ Hospital for three days after the attack.
“It was a lot of pain,” Flowers said. “I can’t even describe.”
The victim said he doesn’t remember part of the attack.
The two youths pleaded guilty to aggravated robbery.
Prosecutor Dan Byer didn’t seek a transfer to adult court, saying no weapons were involved and the youth had not been previously charged in a violent crime.
Special Judge Dan Michael ordered the teens to report to the Youth Services Bureau. The result is they will be placed on probation and could be sent to a variety of rehabilitative programs, including anger management. It’s possible they could also remain under house arrest.
“I’m trying to give these young men a chance to turn their lives around,” the judge said.
In the courtroom, the 16-year-old apologized to Flowers, the victim’s mother and to his own father, who was standing behind him. The youth’s mother is jailed on robbery charges.
The 17-year-old was in court with his mother. He also apologized to Flowers and Brown.
Once outside the courtroom, both youths again expressed remorse to Flowers and hugged him. The victim hugged back.
He told a reporter he’s doubtful of his attackers’ remorse, but said it doesn’t matter.
“I forgave them after I left the hospital,” he said. “I just let go.”
Information from: The Commercial Appeal,
Published in The Messenger 2.15.13


Leave a Comment