Skip to content

Puppy killer Odle violates probation, authorities claim

Puppy killer Odle violates probation, authorities claim
News Editor
DRESDEN – A teenager on probation for torturing a puppy to death last May has violated terms of his probation, authorities said.
Preston Odle was charged last weekend with possession of a firearm by a felon and contributing to the delinquency of a minor.
Odle, 18, of Dresden appeared Wednesday before Judge Thomas Moore Jr., who told Odle the district attorney was filing for violation of probation.
Odle was to appear this morning before Judge William B. Acree Jr., who was to decide if bond would be allowed.
“I’m going to hold you here until we find out what that situation is going to be,” Moore told Odle. “We’re going to reset your case here in General Sessions court for Jan. 2.”
It was Acree who granted Odle judicial diversion Nov. 8. Acree ordered Odle to complete 200 hours of community service, undergo mental evaluations and submit to random drug tests.
If Odle stayed out of trouble for two years, the conviction would be wiped from his record.
Acree warned Odle that community members would be keeping close eyes on him. Last weekend, though, it was the ears of an off-duty police officer that landed Odle back in court.
The off-duty police officer called the Weakley County Sheriff’s Department to report shots fired somewhere near a home north of Dresden. The off-duty officer found the vehicle, with Odle behind the wheel and four juvenile passengers inside.
Once deputies arrived, Odle said one of the minors, a 15 year-old, shot a rifle out of the vehicle window attempting to kill a deer.
In the original case, Odle, along with Levi Evans, pled guilty to one count of aggravated animal cruelty for torturing a 4 month old St. Bernard puppy to death in May.
The dog had been kicked and suffered broken ribs, Dresden Police Chief Randal Walker reported.
Authorities also accused the teens of stabbing the dog at least once and hanging it with wire wrapped around its neck.
The dog apparently had been given to Odle, who said he didn’t want it and called a friend to come get it. The friend and his father contacted police after they came to pick up the dog and allegedly found it limping and foaming at the mouth.
The case drew attention for animal rights activists. About 30 members of a group called “Justice for Puppy Doe” picketed outside the courthouse and urged the judge to impose the maximum two-year sentence for the Class E felony.
Acree declined, saying, ““I would hope that the publicity that has been given to this case would serve as a deterrent to others who might be so foolish as to engage in conduct such as this.”
Published in The WCP 12.20.12