Holiday fire safety tips offered

Holiday fire safety tips offered

Decorating homes and businesses is a long-standing tradition around the holiday season. Unfortunately, these same decorations may increase the chances of fire.
Following a few simple fire safety tips can keep electric lights, candles and the ever-popular Christmas tree from creating a tragedy, according to U.S. Fire Administration tips shared by Union City Fire Chief Kelly Edmison.
Tips include:
• Don’t put live Christmas trees up too early or leave them up for longer than two weeks.
• Place trees away from heat sources, including fireplaces or heat vents. The heat will dry out the tree, causing it to be more easily ignited by heat, flame or sparks.
• Keep the live tree stand filled with water at all times.
• Use only non-flammable decorations.
• Don’t link more than three light strands, unless the directions indicate it’s safe. Connect strings of lights to an extension cord before plugging the cord into the outlet.
• Avoid using lit candles and instead consider using battery-operated flameless candles, which can look, smell and feel like real candles.
• Ensure that Christmas trees and other holiday decorations don’t block an exit way.
For more tips on how to prevent a holiday fire and what to do in case a fire starts, visit the U.S. Fire Administration’s website at www.usfa.fema.gov.

Published in The Messenger 12.10.12

Leave a Comment