COMING DOWN

COMING DOWN
COMING DOWN — Workers this week began demolition work on the building at 247 S. Lindell St. The structure, built in the late 1870s, is located in Martin’s Historic Downtown District.
Marshal Presley Martin built the first two brick business houses on West Lindell Street in 1878. All of the other business houses were small frame buildings which stood alone. These brick buildings were joined and were two stories in height. Brick for the construction was manufactured at P.W. Lee’s brick yard, which was located on Carter Street in Martin. The building has been used for many purposes throughout the years. The building has been a dry goods store, an ice cream parlor and soda fountain, Kroger, a clothing store, appliance store, shoe store, beauty shop, The County Times newspaper, an outlet store, the Bargain Center, used furniture, That’s It Levis, Surplus Army and Airforce shirt outlet, Christian book store, Associated Travel and A Basket Case store. Published in The WCP 12.6.12

Leave a Comment