From the Press Archives
Posted: Friday, November 2, 2012 5:00 pm
Here’s what was happening 33 years ago this month, as extracted from the archives of the Weakley County Press:
• Ted Arnold of Sharon was the coach of the newly formed Sharon Boxing Club, which practiced in an old Boy Scout Hut with makeshift equipment.
• Westview ended its 1979 football season with a 29-12 loss to Union City, as Westview coach Gary Capers finished his first season as head coach with a 3-7 record.
• Dresden beat Adamsville 20-8 in football as Dresden head coach Don Harper finished his first season with a 4-6 record.
• Marilyn A. Waldron of Martin was pledging with the Beta Chi Chapter of Phi Chi Theta Professional Fraternity for Women in Business at UT Martin.
• A 16-year-old Martin girl, Deanna Norris, was killed when the car she was riding in struck a utility pole on rain-slickened Highway 22, one mile east of Martin near Maggie Lee’s nightclub.
• Carolyn Williams of Martin was a member of a choir at Western Michigan University in Kalamazoo.
• Kay Sanders of Gleason was among 48 students at UT Martin named to appear in the 1979-80 edition of “Who’s Who Among Students in American Universities and Colleges.”
• Doris King was the Weakley County’s Press’ circulation manager; Donna Wright was the advertising manager.
• Bettye Newby, Dianne Merritt and Linda Bell were pictured on the front page of the Nov. 15 edition of the Press. They were discussing the upcoming Pilot Club bazaar.
• Phillip Wade Dane of Martin was appointed an internal auditor at UT Martin.
• Teacher leaders of the 4-H Clubs at Martin Elementary included Mrs. Rebecca Neilsen, Mrs. Betty Henderson, Mrs. Sarah Alexander and Mrs. Martha Freeman.
Published in The WCP 11.1.12