Attempted murder case bound over to grand jury

Attempted murder case bound over to grand jury
A Weakley County shooting case involving attempted murder charges has been bound over to the grand jury.
The case against Amber Plunk, 27, of Sharon and Steven D. McMillin, 39, of Trezevant was bound over to the grand jury Wednesday in Weakley County General Sessions Court.
They were arrested Oct. 2 on charges of conspiracy to commit first-degree murder and criminal attempt to commit first-degree murder, stemming from the shooting of Mrs. Plunk’s husband, Rusty Plunk, at their home at 1040 Corinth Road in rural Weakley County.
Both Mrs. Plunk and McMillin are being held in the Weakley County Detention Center, with bond set at $250,000 each, according to authorities.
Weakley County’s grand jury is next scheduled to convene in January.
The charges were levied against the two suspects following an early-morning shooting Oct. 2 at the Plunks’ home. According to the Weakley County Sheriff’s Department, the county’s 911 dispatch center received two calls from Mrs. Plunk, starting at 2:29 a.m., in which she told dispatchers her husband had been shot.
She allegedly told dispatchers she had no idea who had shot him.
Rusty Plunk was transported by ambulance to Volunteer Community Hospital in Martin for treatment of a gunshot wound to his chest and a second gunshot wound to his arm. He was later transferred to Vanderbilt Medical Center in Nashville for treatment, sheriff’s investigator Randall McGowan reported.
During the course of the sheriff’s department investigation, McMillin’s name surfaced and he was picked up at his residence in Trezevant by authorities there. Mrs. Plunk allegedly told investigators she had placed a pistol outside the couple’s residence, knowing McMillin was outside, and then awoke her husband and told him she heard a noise outside, according to a news release the sheriff’s office issued after the incident.
At Wednesday’s preliminary hearing, a defense attorney reportedly argued McMillin had no motive or intent to do any harm to Plunk and that there was no evidence of a plan of conspiracy.
Sources reported McMillin testified in court to a situation where he and his ex-wife allegedly had picked up Mrs. Plunk before the shooting occurred because she had called claiming her husband was being abusive, then later wanted to go back home. He reportedly claimed Mrs. Plunk had placed a pistol on the porch so her husband couldn’t get to it and alleged Plunk came out a few minutes later firing a rifle and he shot Plunk in self-defense before leaving the scene.
Plunk is recovering from injuries sustained in the shooting. Published in The Messenger 10.25.12

Leave a Comment