Safety tips for outdoor grilling offered
Posted: Tuesday, July 3, 2012 8:00 pm
NASHVILLE — Summertime means outdoor grilling time for many Tennessee residents. It is also the peak season for grilling fires.
The State Fire Marshal’s Office urges outdoor cooks to keep fire safety in mind as they start up the grill this summer.
“Practice safety, whenever you grill,” State Fire Marshal Julie Mix McPeak said. “Place your grill well away from siding, deck railings, eaves and overhanging branches. Never leave a grill unattended.”
Utilize these additional tips to make your summer cookouts fire-safe:
• Keep children and pets away from the grill area: Declare a three-foot “safe zone” around the grill.
• Periodically remove grease buildup in trays to prevent ignition by a hot grill.
• Propane, charcoal and wood pellet barbecue grills must be used outdoors only. Indoor use can kill home occupants by causing either a fire or carbon monoxide poisoning.
• Do not store or use a grill on a porch or balcony, including any porch or balcony on an upper level of the building.
• Gas grills have a higher fire risk than charcoal grills. Leaks and breaks in the gas cylinder or hose are the leading cause of gas grill fires. Placing combustibles too close to heat and leaving cooking unattended are two other leading causes.
• Check the gas cylinder hose for leaks before using it for the first time each year. Applying a light soap-and-water solution to the hose. Escaping propane will quickly be revealed through bubbling seen along the hose.
• If you determine your grill has a gas leak, turn off the valve on the tank and have the grill serviced by a professional before using it again.
• If you smell gas while cooking, immediately get away from the grill and call the fire department. Do not attempt to move the grill.
• Use only gas cylinders with an overfill protection device (OPD). OPDs are easily identified by their triangular-shaped hand wheel. OPDs shut off the flow of gas before capacity is reached, limiting the potential for release of propane gas if the cylinder heats up.
• Always store propane gas tanks outside of buildings and garages. Vapors leaked indoors can be easily ignited by pilot lights or electrical equipment, causing an explosion. If you store a gas grill inside during the winter, disconnect the tank or cylinder and leave it outside.
• Only light a propane grill with the cover open.
• When using charcoal grills, avoid using starter fluid – use a chimney starter instead. This is a cylindrical metal tube that uses paper to start the coals. Never add charcoal starter fluid when coals or kindling already have ignited, and never use any flammable or combustible liquid other than charcoal starter fluid.
• Dispose of charcoal coals only after they are cool. Empty the coals into a metal container with a tight-fitting lid that is only used to collect coals. Never empty coals directly into a trash can. Place away from anything that can burn.
According to the Tennessee Fire Incident Reporting System (TFIRS), Tennessee has averaged 33 fire incidents involving open fired grills per year for the past five years. These incidents resulted in one death, six injuries and more $4 million in direct property damages.
Following the guidelines above and keeping safety your No. 1 priority while grilling can help make your summer cookout memorable for the right reasons.
The State Fire Marshal’s Office (www.tn.gov/commerce/sfm/) is a division of the Department of Commerce and Insurance (www.tn.gov/commerce/), which works to protect consumers while ensuring fair competition for industries and professionals who do business in Tennessee. www.tn.gov/commerce/, @TNCommerceInsur (Twitter), http://on.fb.me/uFQwUZ (Facebook), http://bit.ly/ry1GyX (YouTube)
Published in The Messenger 7.3.12