Posted: Wednesday, May 16, 2012 2:32 pm
The Messenger, May 16, 2012
Union City police are investigating a suspicious fire that occurred late Tuesday night on North First Street.
Police responded at 11:35 p.m. to 402 North First St., where Union City Fire Department personnel indicated they had received a call regarding a central heat and air unit on fire, according to a Union City Police Department report.
Firefighters discovered the fire appeared intentional due to a molotov cocktail being found at the scene. Police reported it appeared to be napkins or paper towels packed into a plastic Powerade bottle, soaked in gas.
Police said it appeared someone attempted to throw the device through a bedroom window above the central heat and air unit. The outer pane of glass was broken, but it did not penetrate the second pane of glass, according to the report.