|Fire claims another home in rural Obion County |
|Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 9:04 pm |
| By KEVIN BOWDEN |
For the second time in less than two weeks, a rural Obion County home has been destroyed by fire.
Firefighters from four local fire departments responded to a fire that demolished a mobile home off Highway 22 West, about 10 miles west of Union City, on Tuesday morning.
On April 12, fire claimed a brick home north of Obion off Cemetery Road.
On Tuesday, firefighters were unable to save the mobile home and a nearby garage near the Clayton community.
The residential trailer at 1608 Highway 22 West was owned and occupied by Dorothy Bingham.
Jerry Gammons, a neighbor who lives just west of the Bingham residence, told The Messenger he saw the smoke from the fire about mid-morning and drove down the road to check on his neighbor. He said when he arrived he could see the fire had started in the kitchen area on the west end of the residence.
Gammons said he wasn’t sure if anyone was in the house, so he tried to make entry into the residence but said the heat and smoke was just too intense. It was later determined there was no one in the residence at the time of the fire.
Gammons said the fire spread quickly from the kitchen into the living room area of the residence.
“When I first got on the scene there were flames coming out of the kitchen area of the trailer,” he told The Messsenger. “It was a matter of about five minutes and the fire was all the way down to the other end of the trailer.”
Firefighters responded from the Samburg, Hornbeak, Troy and Union City fire departments. The Obion County Rescue Squad was called in to help with traffic control along the busy highway.
Samburg volunteer firefighter Eddie Fickle was one of the first firefighters on the scene Tuesday and he said when he arrived the residence was “fully involved.”
“The whole left side of the house was completely gone when I arrived, about 9:15 or 9:20,” he said.
Samburg Assistant Fire Chief Joe Cole said his department was the primary agency for the fire. He told The Messenger today Samburg firefighters were called back to the scene about 5:30 a.m. today to handle smoldering debris in the shed.
Despite being from several different fire departments, firefighters worked well together Tuesday as they worked at the fire scene for more than three hours.
The American Red Cross office in Dyersburg, which serves Obion County, was contacted about helping Ms. Bingham in the aftermath of losing her home.
The Bingham residence was covered under the rural fire subscription program, according to a county official.
Published in The Messenger 4.25.12