Skip to content

Texas fugitive pursued, shot in Martin

Texas fugitive pursued, shot in Martin
Texas fugitive pursued, shot in Martin | Marcus Dwayne Thompson, Mark Thompson, U.S. Marshals, Harper's Wrecker Service, Texas fugitive

Obell Horton, 82, of Martin was the victim of an apparent hit and run Thursday morning when her vehicle was hit in the front driver’s side by a gold Chevy Suburban driven by Texas fugitive Marcus Dwayne Thompson. Photo by Matt Hubbard
The pursuit of a Texas fugitive had the potential to turn deadly in Martin Thursday afternoon.
Federal agents with the U.S. Marshal Service located a man wanted in Texas, after reportedly absconding from the state’s sex offender registry requirements, around 11:30 a.m. in Martin.
The fugitive, 44-year-old Marcus Dwayne Thompson (Mark Thompson), was seen driving a gold Chevy Suburban with Texas plates on University Street in Martin that morning.
Federal agents attempted to stop Thompson and that is when things took a turn for the worse for those involved as well as a bystander.
According to an accident report, Thompson was traveling east on University Street when he attempted to turn south on Skyhawk Parkway, lost control of his vehicle and struck 82-year-old Obell Horton of Martin.
Thompson struck Horton’s vehicle on the front of the driver’s side. Horton was driving a tan Dodge Avenger. She was transported to Volunteer Community Hospital, where she was treated and released that day.
It was during the incident at the intersection where Thompson also allegedly attempted to assault one of the federal marshals with his vehicle.
Thompson’s vehicle was reportedly hooked to Horton’s vehicle upon impact. He still attempted to flee from the scene, however, and after breaking free from Horton’s vehicle, Thompson apparently swerved into the direction of the marshal.
The agents reacted with gunfire, which apparently did not deter Thompson from fleeing the scene, leading agents and members of the Martin Police Department in a vehicle pursuit.
The chase ended at 124 Church St. when Thompson reportedly pulled into the driveway shortly after noon.
Emergency responders were called to the scene to provide first aid. Thompson was apparently struck by one of the bullets. He was transported by the Weakley County Ambulance Service to Volunteer Community Hospital for surgery. He remains in critical condition.
Thompson had an active warrant from Ellis County in Texas for violation of the sex offender registry.
The fugitive reportedly absconded from Texas in May 2011.
He was convicted in 2002 of indecency with a child, a third-degree felony. Thompson was ordered to serve two years in prison as a result.
According to the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation, a convicted sex offender has 48 hours to register if he or she has moved. He lived on Olive Street in Martin.
His last known employment was as a contractor in Texas.
Authorities are unsure of how long Thompson had been in Martin. He reportedly had relatives living in the area.
The TBI and FBI are investigating the shooting incident. Authorities shut down the intersection of University Street and Skyhawk Parkway Thursday afternoon searching for evidence.
The case file is expected to be turned over to the district attorney general upon completion, according to the TBI.
TBI is asking the public if they have any video or photos of the original accident scene to contact authorities at 1-800-TBI-FIND (1-800-824-3463).
After Thursday’s incident, Thompson could face additional charges, including aggravated assault against an officer and reckless endangerment.

WCP 3.27.12