A contractor for the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet has started installing new Interstate 69 signage along the former Western Kentucky Parkway between Eddyville, Ky., and the Pennyrile Parkway interchange near Madisonville, Ky.
The contractor is starting at the interchange and working westward along the Western Kentucky Parkway, with initial work focused on placement of concrete anchors for the new signs.
Until now, temporary signs have denoted I-69, which covers 38 miles of the former Western Kentucky Parkway and 16 miles of I-24. Permanent signage is part of a $9.9 million project to bring the section of former parkway up to federal standards for interstate highways.
Other improvements include upgrading ramp tapers and raising bridges to meet clearance requirements.
“The sign work should go almost unnoticed, creating only a few lane restrictions here and there as crews go about their work,” said Kevin McClearn, chief district engineer for Department of Highways District 2 in Madisonville. “Some of the additional work can also be completed with only minor traffic restrictions.”
McClearn said some of the more significant upgrades will be announced as work rolls out over the summer construction season. They include:
• Mile point 0.0 — Extend merge lanes and complete slide repair at I-24/Western Kentucky Parkway/I-69 interchange.
• Mile point 3.70 — Extend merge lanes at U.S. 62/Western Kentucky Parkway/I-69 interchange.
• Mile point 11.70, KY 91/Western Kentucky Parkway/I-69 — Extend merge lanes, increase overpass clearance and widen railroad overpass lanes.
• Mile point 13.12, KY 293/Western Kentucky Parkway/I-69 interchange — Increase overpass clearance.
• Mile point 20.88, KY 2619 over Western Kentucky Parkway/I-69 — Remove and replace bridge superstructure.
• Mile point 21.75, Western Kentucky Parkway/I-69 Tradewater River bridge — Deck overlay and barrier retrofit.
• Mile point 22.00, Western Kentucky Parkway/I-69 Tradewater River overflow bridge — barrier retrofit.
• Mile point 31.58, KY 454 overpass — Increase bridge clearance over Western Kentucky Parkway/I-69.
• Mile point 34.0, Pennyrile Parkway interchange — Add I-69 signage to interstate standards.
• I-24 Exit 25/Purchase Parkway interchange — Add I-69 signage to interstate standards.
Overpasses will be raised at some locations, while at others pavement grinding will be used to increase clearance.
Westate Construction Inc. of Hopkinsville, Ky., is the prime contractor. Guardrail along the affected section was previously upgraded to interstate standards and curbs on a number of bridges were upgraded during routine deck repair work, according to Keith Todd, public information officer for Districts 1 and 2 of the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet.
Published in The Messenger 3.7.12