Skip to content

Tax extensions available for military

Tax extensions available for military

Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 4:00 pm

The Weakley County Trustee would like to make all military personnel and families of those who are currently serving abroad aware of a law which allows all active persons serving outside of the United States an additional time of 180 days to pay their property taxes.
The full Tennessee code (T.C.A. 67-5-2011) states:
(a)    No property tax owed by a person in the armed forces of the United States, or called into active military service of the United States, as defined in 58-1-102, form a reserve or national guard unit, shall be due until 180 days following the conclusion of hostilities in which such person is actually engaged outside the United States or 180 days after such person is transferred from the theater of operations of such hostilities, whichever is sooner.
(b) A person claiming this delay shall apply to the county trustee on or before the day the tax became delinquent and present copies of official orders or other satisfactory proof of such person’s deployment and stationing outside the United States during a period of hostilities.
(c) The trustee shall give notice of approved applications to city collecting officials and to the clerk and master of the chancery court.
(d)    This section shall expressly apply to personnel stationed outside the United States during Operation Enduring Freedom or other hostilities where the military personnel are entitled to combat compensation as determined by the United States department of defense.
If someone has a family member who is currently serving and they need this additional time to pay their property tax bill, contact the Weakley County Trustee’s office at 364-3643. That person will need to bring the deployment papers of the person serving who is requesting the extension. Once there, that person will need to complete a short application form. There is no additional cost to file for the extension.
The deadline for requesting an extension is Feb. 29. For questions or concerns, contact the county trustee’s office at 364-3643.

WCP 2.21.12