Skip to content

Vehicular homicide case bound over to grand jury

Vehicular homicide case bound over to grand jury
A woman was bound over to the grand jury and has since been indicted on a vehicular homicide charge stemming from an August 2011 fatal traffic accident near Kenton.
Margaret C. Harper, 22, of Tulsa, Okla., appeared in Obion County General Sessions Court last week on charges of vehicular homicide and vehicular assault, with both charges bound over to the grand jury.
The February term of the grand jury convened Monday and Ms. Harper was among those indicted, according to the local district attorney’s office. A list of indictments will likely be released later today or Thursday by Obion County Circuit Court Clerk Harry Johnson.
The charges against Ms. Harper were levied in connection with an Aug. 23, 2011, traffic crash which claimed the life of a small child and injured four people on Highway 45 near Kenton.
The Tennessee Highway Patrol reported Patty Howard, 47, of Kenton was southbound on Highway 45, near the intersection of H Taylor Road, in a Ford SUV being followed by a tractor-trailer driven by Daniel W. Deason, 52, of Dyersburg when a Chevrolet Blazer driven by Ms. Harper, who was traveling northbound, allegedly crossed the center line and struck the SUV, knocking the mirror off the vehicle.
Ms. Harper’s vehicle apparently continued into the southbound lane, striking the tractor-trailer head-on and then exiting the east edge of the road before coming to final rest facing east. She and one of two children who were passengers in the vehicle were ejected.
The tractor-trailer also exited the east edge of the road before coming to final rest facing east, the THP reported.
Robert Chew IV, 10 months old, of Tulsa was killed in the accident. He was not in a safety restraint, according to the THP’s report, which noted the use of safety restraints would have made a difference.
The other child, 2-year-old Raleigh Chew, also of Tulsa, allegedly was not wearing a safety restraint and was injured.
Ms. Harper, Ms. Howard and Deason were also injured in the accident, which was still under investigation at the time of the report last August. Published in The Messenger 2.8.12

Leave a Comment