Pantry guidelines set
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 4:10 pm
The Messenger, January 10, 2012
The new guidelines for use of the Pilgrim Rest Mobile Food Pantry, effective immediately, are as follows:
• Individuals must pre-register and these dates are this Wednesday and Thursday from 10 a.m.-1 p.m. in the church annex on College Street in Union City. When food is distributed on Jan. 19, those who are pre-registered will be served first, beginning at 9 a.m.
• Eligibility is based on total household income, so applicants must provide proof of income and residency for every person in the home older than 18.
• Social Security recipients must bring their 2011-12 benefit statement, received in December, and must report all other income sources, including pensions, SSI, wages and other forms.
• Food stamp cards (EBT) will not be accepted as proof of eligibility since they are not dated. Individuals must bring their benefit letter, no matter what assessment is noted there.
• Only Obion County residents are eligible to register.
The Mid-South Food bank brings food to Union City for 300-350 households. Following the instructions provided here will help assure families get the help they need, a spokesman said.
Since the programs goal is to help families with the greatest need, there will be no exceptions to the income guidelines, a spokesman said.