Violent weekend: UC man shot in face, airlifted to the Med

Violent weekend: UC man shot in face, airlifted to the Med
Staff Reporter
A Union City man was critically injured late Friday night in a shooting incident which remains under investigation by police.
Kevin S. Anderson, 25, of 305 West Gibbs St., Union City, was taken to Regional Medical Center (the Med) in Memphis after being shot in the face, according to a Union City Police Department report.
Police were called to Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union City at 11:45 p.m. Friday in reference to a gunshot victim who was brought in by private vehicle.
According to the report, police discovered Anderson had allegedly been shot in the face by his sister, Antoinette G. Nolan, 34, of 1916 Morningview Drive, Union City.
Anderson was airlifted to the Memphis hospital and his condition was listed as critical at the time of the report.
Union City Police Chief Joe Garner told The Messenger the shooting is still under investigation and, as of this morning, charges had not yet been levied. He said Ms. Nolan was hospitalized in Union City over the weekend.
A separate police report indicated officers responded to Ms. Nolan’s residence on Morningview at 12:05 a.m. Saturday in connection with an overdose. Ms. Nolan was taken to Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union City for treatment.
The shooting topped a list of calls that kept Union City police busy over the New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day weekend. Other incidents included an arrest for weapons offenses after shots were allegedly fired from a vehicle, a fight at a local club and a purse-snatching incident at the Walmart Supercenter parking lot.
Shots fired
Multiple charges were filed against a Union City man after a police investigator reported he saw someone fire a handgun from a moving vehicle on Nash Street early Sunday.
Jerry Wayne Slayton Jr., 27, of 621 Todd St., Apt. 4, Union City, was arrested at 12:01 a.m. on charges of unlawful possession of a weapon by a convicted felon, possession of a weapon while intoxicated, reckless endangerment, public intoxication and theft under $500.
According to a Union City Police Department report, police investigator Chris Cummings reported he was sitting on the parking lot on the west side of the Save-A-Lot store off Nailling Drive when he observed a white Pontiac traveling north on Nash Street in the 200 block. The officer said he observed the front-seat passenger stick his arm out the window and fire four or five shots from a handgun.
The officer said he stopped the vehicle at Nash and College streets and held its three occupants at gunpoint until police backup arrived. The person who allegedly fired the shots was identified as Slayton and a 9mm gun was located under his seat, according to the report.
Slayton was taken into custody for reckless endangerment. Police reported he had “a strong odor” of intoxicants and his eyes were bloodshot, resulting in the alcohol offenses.
In addition, a check of the weapon by police revealed it had been reported stolen Aug. 27, 2009, to Union City police and a criminal background check of Slayton revealed he had been convicted of felony evading arrest on Feb. 28, 2006.
Club fight
Police shut down the Blue Marble Club at 1220 East Main St. in Union City after officers responded to a fight there early New Year’s Day.
Officers were summoned to the club just before 3 a.m. Sunday and, upon entering the club, observed evidence of alleged marijuana use on several tables and the floor of the establishment, according to a Union City Police Department report.
While police were checking the building, one of the patrons locked a police investigator in a room he was checking at the time.
“It was, once again, unclear who was in charge,” Cummings wrote in his report, making reference to another call to the club early Christmas Day.
Police reported there were people helping with cleanup at the club, but no one was “clearly” in charge.
Due to the fight and other circumstances, the club was shut down by police.
In last weekend’s incident, police responded to the club shortly after 4 a.m. Dec. 25 after Cummings observed a large fight in progress at the front door to the Blue Marble Club. He also reported smelling a very strong odor of burning marijuana and indicated police were unable to find anyone in charge.
On Nov. 29, Union City’s beer board had convened to consider violations that allegedly occurred Nov. 20 at the Blue Marble Club, according to a legal notice published in The Messenger. Then, after the Christmas Day incident, Garner told The Messenger the club owner had surrendered his beer license.
Attempted robbery
Union City police are also investigating a strongarm robbery involving a purse-snatching attempt on New Year’s Day at the Walmart Supercenter parking lot at 1601 West Reelfoot Ave.
Police responded about 2:30 p.m. Sunday to the Walmart parking lot after receiving a call alleging a Hispanic man had attempted to “grab” a woman there, according to a Union City Police Department report.
A 17-year-old Union City girl told police a Hispanic man had grabbed her and attempted to take her purse. A struggle began and she was thrown to the ground. The teenager screamed and several people nearby heard her, at which time the man ran away toward a van parked on Row 9.
The man got into the van, where another person was already in the driver’s seat, and the vehicle fled the scene, according to the report.
Staff Reporter Chris Menees may be contacted by email at Published in The Messenger 1.2.12

Leave a Comment