Meat cleaver used in alleged assault

Meat cleaver used in alleged assault
A man was apprehended Tuesday night in Fulton after allegedly setting fire to an occupied residence and assaulting two people with a meat cleaver.
Jonathon Tynes, 31, of Clinton, Ky., was charged with first-degree arson, first-degree burglary and first-degree assault in connection with an incident that occurred about 4:45 p.m. Tuesday at a home at 805 Fairview in Fulton.
He was taken into custody about 7:30 p.m. after police had issued an emergency alert for a suspect who was considered armed and dangerous.
According to a Fulton Police Department press release from Chief Terry Powell, Tynes allegedly entered the victim’s residence on Fairview and started a fire by pouring motor oil into a cooking pan, piling towels or clothing on top and starting it on fire.
When the male victim and a female companion, whose names were not disclosed by police, came to locate the source of the fire in the kitchen, Tynes allegedly was lying waiting behind a freezer/refrigerator unit and was armed with a meat cleaver obtained from the kitchen.
The woman told police Tynes came at her first and then attacked the man with the cleaver, swinging it at him. Both the man and Tynes went to the floor and the man was able to grab the arm with the meat cleaver and Tynes’ shirt. Tynes lost control of the meat cleaver and left the residence, according to police.
The man suffered some bruising to his head and a large knot on his forehead.
Multiple law enforcement agencies from Kentucky and Tennessee were involved in the search for Tynes, who reportedly was captured about 21⁄2 hours later at Fulton Manor Apartments.
“A lot of agencies came together to find him,” Powell told The Messenger, expressing appreciation to everyone involved and relief that Tynes was apprehended.
Police have also levied charges against Tynes in connection with other incidents that allegedly occurred earlier Tuesday in Fulton.
Police reported he has been charged with three counts of theft by unlawful taking under $500, two counts of second-degree criminal mischief and one count of first-degree criminal mischief for allegedly using large rocks to smash windows in the parking lot of Walker’s Wrecker Service about 7:20 a.m., action which apparently provided entry to steal radios from two cars.
He also allegedly stole a radio out of the rollback wrecker owned by Johnny Walker’s Wrecker Service and set the vehicle on fire, causing more than $1,000 in damage to the wrecker.
Tynes was charged with third-degree burglary and first-degree criminal mischief for allegedly damaging the structure and damaging industrial equipment during a break-in that occurred about 1:45 a.m. Tuesday at the Save-A-Lot grocery store in Fulton. Multiple items were damaged, including the refrigeration units outside the store and metal siding estimated at several thousand dollars, according to police.
In addition, Tynes was arrested on three counts of failure to appear on warrants issued out of Fulton County (Ky.) District Court.
He was lodged in the Fulton County Detention Center following his arrest Tuesday night. Published in The Messenger 12.21.11

Leave a Comment