Wehman Farm recognized for agricultural contributions
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 8:02 pm
MURFREESBORO — The Wehman Farm, located in Obion County, has been designated as a Tennessee Century Farm, reports Caneta S. Hankins, director of the Century Farms Program at the Center for Historic Preservation at Middle Tennessee State University.
The Century Farms Program recognizes the contributions of Tennessee residents who have owned and kept family land in continuous agricultural production for at least 100 years.
Capt. James Turner lived in Kentucky and raised and transported tobacco by flatboat and later by riverboat to New Orleans, via the Cumberland and Tennessee rivers to the Mississippi River. In fall 1853, he and his son-in-law, George Cary, purchased 2,603 acres just south of Union City. They moved their extended families to their property and built their homes where wheat, corn, swine and cattle were raised. James continued to spend much of his time in New Orleans. George first married Sally Turner Cary, a daughter of James and his first wife, Nancy Turner. Sally Turner Cary died of yellow fever while visiting her father in New Orleans, and George then married Mary Turner Cary, also a daughter of James Turner. George and Mary were the parents of three children.
In 1875, George Cary sold his portion of the farm to Jeremiah Phebus. In 1897, Jeremiah Phebus sold 215 acres of the farm to his daughter, Willie, and her husband, Edward McAlister. Edward McAlister also was a grandson of George and Sally Turner Cary. Willie and Edward McAlister were the parents of three children.
Martha Ann McAlister, a daughter of Willie and Edward McAlister, was the next owner of the family farm. She married Roy Cecil Wehman, and they were the parents of two children, Roy Cary Wehman and Charles Phillip Wehman.
In 1985, Roy Cary Wehman inherited the 23-acre family farm which is part of the original Turner-Cary purchase. It currently is sown in fescue and is part of a federal land program. He also inherited the original Phebus-McAlister homeplace which adjoins the property. That parcel is now owned by his daughter, Martha Wehman Townes, and her husband, William Lutts Townes, who manages the farm. Their children are William Cary and Katherine Ann.
The Wehman Farm brings the number of certified Century Farms in Obion County to 33.
Since 1984, the Center for Historic Preservation at MTSU has been a leader in the important work of documenting Tennessee’s agricultural heritage and history through the Tennessee Century Farm Program.
For more information about the Century Farms Program, visit www.tncenturyfarms.org. The Center for Historic Preservation also may be contacted at Box 80, MTSU, Murfreesboro, TN, 37132 or (615) 898-2947.
Published in The Messenger 10.18.11