Hank has rowdy exit from ESPN
Posted: Friday, October 7, 2011 7:02 pm
BRISTOL, Conn. (AP) — Are you ready for some football?
Hank Williams Jr. isn’t anymore.
The country singer and ESPN each took credit for the decision Thursday morning to no longer use his classic intro to “Monday Night Football.”
The network had pulled the song from the game earlier this week after Williams made an analogy to Adolf Hitler in discussing President Obama on Fox News on Monday morning.
“After reading hundreds of e-mails, I have made MY decision,” Williams said in a statement to the Associated Press. “By pulling my opening Oct 3rd, You (ESPN) stepped on the Toes of The First Amendment Freedom of Speech, so therefore Me, My Song, and All My Rowdy Friends are OUT OF HERE. It’s been a great run.”
But ESPN’s statement said: “We have decided to part ways with Hank Williams Jr. We appreciate his contributions over the past years. The success of Monday Night Football has always been about the games and that will continue.”
The network said it informed Williams of the move Thursday morning.
Regardless of whose decision it was, one of sports’ and entertainment’s most visible partnerships is over.
Published in The Messenger 10.7.11