New hot toy list is released
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2011 7:03 pm
NEW YORK (AP) — Every year, toy makers and sellers hope there will be a runaway hit toy to help spur excitement around the holidays and boost sales.
Toys R Us is betting that 15 toys ranging from a flying, inflatable remote-control fish to tiny collectible monsters will be big hits this season.
Making the right picks early is crucial for toy sellers so they have the right mixture of toys at the right prices to lure shoppers.
The holiday season can account for about 40 percent of a toy seller’s annual profit.
In 2010, U.S. toy sales rose 2 percent to $21.87 billion, according to the NPD Group.
Karen Dodge, senior vice president and chief merchandising officer of Toys R Us in the U.S. said “there’s lots of really interesting and different and unique toys on the list.”
The 15 toys on the Toys R Us list are:
• Air Hogs Hyper Actives by Spin Master.
• Air Swimmers Extreme by Animal Planet.
• Lalaloopsy Silly Hair dolls by MGA Entertainment.
• LeapPad Explorer by Leapfrog.
• Monster High Fearleading Three-Pack by Mattel.
• Moshi Monsters Moshling Mini-Figures three-pack by Spin Master.
• My Keepon by Wow! Stuff.
• Nerf Vortex Vigilon by Hasbro.
• Ninjago Lightning Dragon Battle by Lego Systems Inc.
• Poppin’ Park Elefun Busy Ball Popper by Hasbro’s Playskool.
• Power Wheels Dune Racer by Mattel’s Fisher-Price.
• Radica Fijit Friends by Mattel.
• Sesame Street Let’s Rock! Elmo by Hasbro.
• “Skylanders: Spyro’s Adventure” by Activision.
• The Trash Pack Garbage Truck by Moose Toys.
Toys R Us Inc., based in Wayne, N.J., is the largest U.S. specialty toy retailer.