Disaster assistance offered to Obion County residents

Disaster assistance offered to Obion County residents

Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2011 8:18 am
By: Kevin Bowden, Staff Reporter

Disaster assistance offered to Obion County residents | Disaster assistance offered to Obion County residents

FEMA official Christina Prescott (right) went over some of the programs offered at the center with Obion city recorder Jana Fluty

Staff Reporter
Federal assistance is now available for area residents affected by recent storms and flooding.
The Federal Emergency Management Agency has set up a Disaster Relief Center in Obion and a second center is in operation in Lake County.
FEMA officials have set up shop in the Obion Community Center across from Obion City Hall and the center is open from 8 a.m.-8 p.m. through Friday.
Anyone who suffered damages during recent storms or flooding is encouraged to register with FEMA, even if they have insurance, according to a FEMA spokesman.
Failure to file a claim may affect victims’ eligibility for assistance.
Even those who filed a claim for damages from last year’s storms and flooding can file a claim related to recent storm damage, according to FEMA.
Those who have insurance must file a claim. Next, they are encouraged to find out what their policy covers and keep any papers and receipts from any work done. Those who still have unmet disaster-related needs may be considered for FEMA assistance.
A team of FEMA officials is set up at the Disaster Relief Center in Obion to answer questions related to claims. The FEMA team can also file claims at the center and there are brochures and booklets available to the public to answer questions about storm damage. There are three rows of rectangular tables set up in the Obion Community Center, packed with informational flyers, a bank of computers and even a few coloring books and crayons for children.
The FEMA center is set up to help victims recover from recent storms and flooding with a little help from the federal government.
Among the services available through FEMA is help for storm and flood victims whose insurance settlements are delayed or whose insurance settlements are insufficient to meet disaster-related needs. Those who have exhausted their insurance company’s additional living expenses allowance may also seek assistance.
There is even a Small Business Administration disaster assistance representative on hand to help storm victims apply for SBA assistance.
The FEMA center is also expecting support from other disaster relief agencies who will be providing help to flood victims through the center.
Anyone with questions about the Disaster Relief Center in Obion can contact Jana Fluty at Obion City Hall at 536-6242.
Kevin Bowden may be contacted by e-mail at kmbowden@ucmessenger.com.

Published in The Messenger 5.18.11

Leave a Comment