Places to go and people to see
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2011 8:01 pm
• An exhibition of clay excavated from the mind of David W. Frazier from April 14-30 at The Arts Co-Op, 217 Lindell St., Martin. The Arts Co-Op is open from 10 a.m.-8 p.m., Thursday-Saturday. A show reception will be held from 6-8 p.m., Friday with wine and cheese. Bring your own bugspray.
• Special Olympics – Opening ceremonies to begin 9:30 a.m. on April 28 at the Martin Recreation Complex.
• Alcohol Free Night from 6-9 p.m. Friday at UTM’s Field House with free food and drawing for LCD-TV. This will be sponsored by the Martin Housing Authority, Crossroad Teen Center, Boys & Girls Club of Northwest TN and SADD Chapter Students Creating Change. Entire community is cordially invited to attend,
• Relay for Life Fund-raisers:
• Rolling Thunder ™ TN – Chapter 6 Poker Run for Vets, Saturday, April 30, 8-11 a.m., American Legion Post 55, Martin – The Poker Run begins and ends at the American Legion. Registration begins at 8 a.m. First bike out at 8 a.m., last bike out at 4 p.m.
The cost is $15 per hand and $10 for rider. Plate dinners at the end of ride for $5 each. Plaques for best and worst hand plus door prizes. Rain date will be May 14.
• Relays for Life for Weakley County:
Friday, June 3 – Weakley Relay South in Greenfield
Friday, June 10 – Weakley Relay West for Martin and Sharon
Friday, June 17 – Weakley Relay East for Dresden and Gleason
• Touch – A – Truck, Saturday, April 30, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Martin Recreation Complex. Bring the kids to check out all the awesome trucks that will be on display so they can see. Learn about them and touch them up close. Ask questions. Free demonstrations will be given and kids will have the opportunity to sit in the trucks and blow the horns. Four-plus trucks confirmed and more coming in everyday. Everything is free.
• Iris Festival in Dresden – April 30-May 7.
The Friends of the Weakley County Library will be holding their annual yard sale on the front lawn of the library, Saturday, April 30 from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. to coincide with the Dresden City-wide yard sale. Miscellaneous items including books, DVDs, pictures and other household items will be sold as well as refreshments. Members of the Friends of the Library and community members are invited to donate items for sale with the exception of clothing.
• At The Looking Glass in downtown Martin:
Bluegrass Apocalypse, 7:30 p.m. April 29.