Skip to content

Fire damages WM home

Fire damages WM home

Posted: Thursday, April 21, 2011 1:48 pm

The Messenger, April 21, 2011
A Woodland Mills home was damaged by fire early Wednesday.
Union City firefighters responded at 1:54 a.m. to a fire at Sam Shaw’s residence at 814 Gum St. in Maplehurst Subdivision, the Union City Fire Department reported.
Fire department Capt. Jere Cook said it started out as a kitchen fire when someone was cooking and the grease fire then went through a vent-a-hood into the home’s attic. There was significant damage to the kitchen, dining room and the attic, as well as about one-third of the roof, but firefighters were able to save the rest of the house.
Union City firefighters had arrived to see fire through the home’s carport doors and the kitchen area. Cook said as they started to attack the blaze, they noticed fire was breaking through the roof.
The Rives and Troy fire departments responded by automatic aid with tankers and the Union City Fire Department also requested mutual aid for manpower from the Rives department.
“It was a tremendous job by everyone there. They stopped the fire where we found it and did a good job stopping it,” Cook said.
Firefighters were on the scene until about 4:30 a.m. Wednesday.

Leave a Comment