Places to go, people to see
Posted: Friday, April 8, 2011 8:03 pm
• On Saturday, April 9, the Martin Kiwanis Club will celebrate its annual, “Kiwanis One Day.” On this day, Kiwanis Club members perform community service projects as a group. In the past, they’ve picked up trash around the Rural King area. However, two years ago, they began working with the Martin Elementary School to create an outdoor classroom. They cleaned up the area, brought in materials for raised planting beds, and planted perennials flowers, bushes and trees. The classroom is designed so that children can explore wildlife and learn about nature in their own backyards.
This year they will again work at the school installing benches the MKC and the K-kids have purchased for the classroom and cleaning up the area after the long, cold winter. They’ll need some strong people to help them with this project because the benches are quite heavy. If you can’t tote heavy loads, come anyway. They can always use good supervisors. Also, if you have any extra plants to donate to the classroom or would like to purchase some to bring with you, they would be delighted to have them. Please join them from 9 – 11 a.m. this Saturday. Bring any garden equipment you have – hoes, rakes, shovels, large plastic bags, and gloves to protect your hands. The outdoor classroom is just beyond the school and close to the pine trees along McGill Street.
• The City of Sharon and the Sharon Public Library will be hosting an Open House from 2-4 p.m., Sunday in honor of Ezra Howard Day. Please join this celebration in honoring his service to the country as one of the remaining Buffalo Soldiers of WWII.
• The Martin Rotary Club will be holding an event not to be missed on Friday, April 8. Come and see UT Martin faculty and community members perform onstage as musical celebrities at the Rotary Sing-Alike. Admission is $5 and the event will begin at 7 p.m. in the Watkins Auditorium of the Boling University Center at UT Martin.
• Fiddlesticks Festival in Greenfield – April 13-16.
• UT Martin Rodeo begins April 14 at the Ned R. McWherter Agricultural Complex on the UT Martin campus. Yeehaw!
• UTM Recycles! Earth Fest Art Contest
Admission day is April 7 and display dates are April 16-25 in various places in The Looking Glass Coffee and Curiosities and the Paul Meek Library. Email or send a hard copy of artwork including name, address, phone number, name of art, size of art and any displaying needs.
• Relay for Life Fund-raisers:
• Weakley East Relay for Life Schwahn’s™ Fine Food Fundraiser, Saturday, April 9, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Big Orange Kountry, Hwy. 22, Dresden.
• Weakley County Nursing Home Bowling Tournament, Saturday, April 16, 2-5 p.m. at the Southlane Bowling Alley in Union City.
• Rolling Thunder ® TN – Chapter 6 Poker Run for Vets, Saturday, April 30, 8-11 a.m., American Legion Post 55, Martin – The Poker Run begins and ends at the American Legion. Registration begins at 8 a.m. First bike out at 8 a.m., last bike in at 4 p.m.
The cost is $15 per hand and $10 for rider. Plate dinners at the end of ride for $5 each. Plaques for best and worst hand plus door prizes. Rain date will be May 14.
• Relays for Life for Weakley County:
Friday, June 3 – Weakley Relay South in Greenfield
Friday, June 10 – Weakley Relay West for Martin and Sharon
Friday, June 17 – Weakley Relay East for Dresden and Gleason
• Touch – A – Truck, Saturday, April 30, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Martin Recreation Complex. Bring the kids to check out all the awesome trucks that will be on display so they can see them, learn about them , touch them up close and ask questions. Free demonstrations will be given and kids will have the opportunity to sit in the trucks and blow the horns. Forty-plus trucks confirmed and more coming in everyday. Everything is free.
• Iris Festival in Dresden – April 30-May 7.
The Friends of the Weakley County Library will be holding their annual yard sale on the front lawn of the library, Saturday, April 30 from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. to coincide with the Dresden City-wide yard sale. Miscellaneous items including books, DVDs, pictures and other household items will be sold as well as refreshments. Community members are invited to donate items for sale with the exception of clothing.
• At The Looking Glass in downtown Martin: Friday, April 8 – Satellite Octopus; Friday, April 15 – Todd Albert photography exhibit
• The 25th annual Easter Egg Hunt, cosponsored by WCMT/Star 95.1 Radio stations, Martin Parks and Recreation and E.W. James and Sons Supermarket, will take place from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday, April 16 at the Martin Recreation Complex. There will be special activities for children throughout the day. The Martin Kiwanis Club will be sponsoring a Decorated Egg Contest.Rain date: Sunday, April 17 from 1:30-4:30 p.m. Call Martin Parks and Recreation at 731-587-6784.