Skip to content

The County Connection

The County Connection

Posted: Wednesday, April 6, 2011 8:03 pm
By: Shawn Francisco and Marci Floyd, Special to The Press

Can you believe it is already April?
Time is rapidly passing by. The question addressed this month involved the county clerk’s office, so we asked Pat Scarbrough to help to ensure you were getting the best and most detailed answers.
The question was where would I go to open and or close a business within the County and why did the State of Tennessee start handling business taxes?  
Pat and her staff had the following response. The county clerk and the city offices are responsible for issuing business tax licenses.
The initial fee for the county license is $15. A taxpayer is responsible for obtaining two licenses if he/she is located within the city limits, one from the city and one from the county.
If the taxpayer isn’t located in the city limits, only a county business tax license is required.
The State of Tennessee started collecting all business taxes in January 2010. This was in accordance with Public Chapter 530 which shifted the administration and collection of business taxes from the local municipalities and counties to the Tennessee Department of Revenue.
Therefore, after the initial licensing process, any future transactions will be handled through the Department of Revenue. Information on business taxes and requirements may also be found on the web at or by calling 1-800-342-1003.
Remember this article is based on your questions and concerns. Everyone has been so generous to assist in the preparation of the articles over the past four months.
So if there is anything about your county government you would like to know more about just give us a call or send us an email to or and we will do our best to get you the best answers. Until next time, enjoy the beautiful spring weather.
Editor’s note: Shawn Francisco is the Weakley County Director of Finance and Marci Floyd serves as the Weakley County Trustee.

WCP 4.05.11

Leave a Comment