Places to go and people to see
Posted: Friday, March 25, 2011 8:02 pm
Places to go and people to see
• UTM Recycles! Earth Fest Art Contest
Admission day is April 7 and display dates are April 16-25 in various places in The Looking Glass Coffee and Curiosities and the Paul Meek Library. Email or send a hard copy of artwork including name, address, phone number, name of art, size of art and any displaying needs.
• Running for Prevention 2011 5K + Fun Run/Walk
On Saturday, April 2, beginning with 8 a.m. registration, the University of Tennessee at Martin Masters in Business Administration Program and the Carl Perkins Exchange Club for the Prevention of Child Abuse will host this athletic event with all proceeds going to the Carl Perkins Center. After registration at 8, warm up will begin at 8:30 a.m., followed by opening ceremonies at 8:45 a.m. and run/walk at 9 a.m. The course will begin with registration at the Goodyear™ Wingfoot Park in Union City. Pre-registration cost is $15 teams 5 + : $12 per person and $18 on the day of the race. Awards will be given for first and place overall in male and female and first, second and third places in 13 and under, 14-17, 18-45, 45-60 and 61 +.Entry form and payment can be mailed to: Carl Perkins Center, P.O. Box 552, Martin, TN 38237.
• Relay for Life Fund-raisers:
• Weakley East Relay for Life Schwahn’s™ Fine Food Fund-raiser, Saturday, April 9, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Big Orange Kountry, Hwy. 22.
• Weakley County Nursing Home Bowling Tournament, Saturday, April 16, 2-5 p.m. and the Southlane Bowling Alley.
• Rolling Thunder ™ TN – Chapter 6 Poker Run for Vets, Saturday, April 30, 8-11 a.m., American Legion Post 55, Martin – The Poker Run begins and ends at the American Legion. Registration begins at 8 a.m. First bike out at 8 a.m., last bike out at 4 p.m.
The cost is $15 per hand and $10 for rider. Plate dinners at the end of ride for $5 each. Plaques for best and worst hand plus door prizes. Rain date will be May 14.
• Touch – A – Truck, Saturday, April 30, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Martin Recreation Complex. Bring the kids to check out all the awesome trucks that will be on display so they can see. Learn about them and touch them up close. Ask questions. Free demonstrations will be given and kids will have the opportunity to sit in the trucks and blow the horns. Four-plus trucks confirmed and more coming in everyday. Everything is free.
• Dresden High School Class of 2011 presents The Great Pretenders. With two showings, at 7 p.m. on March 26 and 2 p.m. on March 27, DHS continues its popular fund-raising tradition for this year’s class of seniors.
The event will be held at the Dresden Athletic Center (old junior high gym) and general admission tickets are $7. For tickets or more information, call 731-225-7699.
• For a thrilling rock concert experience, check out Eddie B’s in Martin on Saturday, March 26 for a performance from The Storm with Mainline.
• Sigma Alpha Iota, , will perform the Sigma Alpha Iota Musicale, at 7:30 p.m., April 3, at Trinity Presbyterian Church in Martin. The musicale will be free and open to the public. For more information, contact Sherry Adams, Department of Music administrative assistant, at 731-881-7402.
• Author Bob Cowser, Jr. will be stopping by The Looking Glass on April 2 to sign copies of his book, “Green Fields,” in downtown Martin. Books will be available for purchase at The Looking Glass and Cowser will begin signing at 1 p.m.