Moore pleads guilty to aggravated assault

Moore pleads guilty to aggravated assault

A Martin man pled guilty to aggravated assault and resisting arrest in Weakley County Circuit Court Thursday morning. 

Thomas Richard Moore entered a guilty plea for two of four counts – the other two being dismissed. According to an affidavit written by Ptl. Guy Pryor of the Martin Police Department, on Dec. 12, 2010, he responded to a call from 236 Oakland Street Apt. 4 in reference to a domestic in progress. The victim stated that her boyfriend, Moore, struck her numerous times in the face and Pryor observed visible signs of injury to her face as well as substantial bleeding. The report stated that Pryor evacuated the victim from the scene and alerted the EMS who started treating her injuries. 

Pryor attempted to enter the residence after the victim told him that Moore was inside and granted him permission to enter. All of the doors were locked, however, and Moore would not open them. The report stated that Lt. Reed and Ptl. McClure arrived and attempted to obtain a key from the landlord. After attempting to find a key to no avail, Ptl. forced entry into the apartment to effect an arrest. Ptl. Pryor, Lt. Reed and Ptl. McClure entered the residence and found Moore who was standing in the bedroom with his right hand shoved inside his jacket pocket. 

Moore refused the commands of the officers and they attempted to physically restrain him. 

According to the affidavit, Moore fought back by attempting to remove Ptl. McClure’s hands away from him and after a brief struggle, Moore was taken into custody. 

At this time, Ptl. Pryor noticed blooding clothing on the floor of the room and bloodstains in numerous spots on the carpet. Ptl. Pryor also retrieved a knife in question from the victim’s purse where she said the knife was. 

Lt. Reed photographed all of this evidence. Inv. Erwin and Inv. Owens interviewed the victim briefly at Volunteer Community Hospital and she said that Moore held her against her will for about three hours, that he struck her repeatedly and that he attempted to asphyxiated her by holding a pillow over her face.

For the charge of aggravated assault, a Class C felony, Moore received a sentence of three years suspended except 92 days served and for the resisting arrest charge, he received six months suspended except 92 days served to run concurrently.   

wcp 3/08/11

Leave a Comment