Fire damages house
Posted: Monday, March 7, 2011 6:43 pm
The Messenger, March 7, 2011
A house on West Main Street in Union City was heavily damaged by fire Sunday night.
Cheo Ware’s home at 3213 West Main St. sustained damage in a fire reported at 8:03 p.m., according to a Union City Fire Department report.
Firefighters arrived on the scene to find heavy smoke showing from the single-story frame structure. They were reportedly hampered by strong winds blowing toward the street, which limited visibility and pushed the fire into the attic.
A second alarm requested additional Union City fire personnel and the Rives Volunteer Fire Department was also called for assistance. Roof collapse was reported during the time firefighters were preparing to use foam to suppress the fire.
Additional firefighters were requested to respond to another possible fire call and a medical call while firefighters were still battling the blaze on West Main Street.
Fire officials said the fire apparently began in the kitchen of the home. Some occupants were home when it broke out, but no injuries were reported to them.
Firefighters remained on the scene until about 12:10 a.m. today, according to the report.