Letter to the editor
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2011 8:01 pm
Each person needs to have something to help him through each day. I have found some thoughts and prayers expressed by others that are helpful to me. Some of them are:
1. “A friend is one of life’s nicest blessings.”
2. “God grant me serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can…and the wisdom to know the difference.”
3. “Make yourself familiar with the angels, and hold them frequently in spirit; for without being seen, they are present with you.” – St. Francis De Sales
4. Prayer for Peace: Lord, make me an instrument of your peace,/Where there is hatred, let me sow love;/ where there is injury, pardon;/ where there is doubt, faith;/ where there is despair, hope;/ where there is darkness, light;/ where there is sadness, joy;/ O divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand; to be loved as to love. For it is in giving that we receive; it is in pardoning that we are pardoned; and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life. Amen” – Saint Francis Assisi.
5. A Prayer for Luck: If you think you can’t,/ You really must/ In God and our soldiers,/ Please keep the trust./ To keep us safe,/ Day and night,/ To stand in front/ And faithfully fight,/ In the name of freedom/ And even love,/ I pray for Grace/ From the stars above./ That soon one day;/ We can live in peace,/ When fears subside,/ World wars will cease./ With hope shining/ From my eyes,/ I ask for gifts/ with the bright sunrise,/ May luck and joy be/ With all who know/ That what you reap,/ Is what you sow.”
– Written by a loyal supporter to America’s Disabled Veterans.
Each person needs help from one source or another to gain courage to meet life’s daily problems and words expressed by others can be one source.
Several years ago I helped the Martin Senior Citizen Center deliver Meals on Wheels and I took the time to talk with each person to whom I delivered. On the last day I told each one that I wouldn’t be back.
One woman said, “I’m so sorry because you’re the only one who takes time to talk to me.”
That left me with a sad feeling because that told me that she was living a very lonely life. There may be many of them who are lonely, and I was it was different for them.