Barring any more inclement weather, Weakley County high school students could be looking at a Friday, May 13 graduation date.
Director of Schools Randy Frazier announced the date of May 13 at the February meeting of the Weakley County School Board held Thursday at Sharon School. The last day of school for all students would be May 20.
In other business, board members voted to approve the following volunteer coaches: Daniel Wofford and Jesse Bryant for Greenfield baseball and Greg Robb for Westview softball.
After hearing a request from Jacqueline McNamara and a letter from Laura Sterrett for excused absences to be given to their children beyond the standard five days, board members voted not to grant the extra excused absences for other of the school-age children.
According to Weakley County School Board Chairman Gordon Morris, this was decided according to the rules in the school handbook.
Business concluded with the approval of several field trips including:
• Sharon’s 6th and 8th graders to travel to the Dixie Carter Theater in Huntingdon on Feb. 22, field trip #2;
• Westview’s FFA to travel to Memphis Farm and Gin on Feb. 25;
• Westview’s FFA to travel to Gatlinburg to the TN State Convention March 27-30;
• Martin Elementary’s 4th grade trip to Nashville to the Adventure Science Center o n March 22; field trip #2;
• Westview’s band to travel to Washington, D.C. to perform March 26-April 1;
• Martin Elementary’s 5th grade to visit Graceland in Memphis March 24;
• Gleason’s FFA to travel to the Mid-South Farm and Gin Show in Memphis on Feb. 25;
• Greenfield Junior High Lady Jackets to travel to Springfield to play in the TNT on Saturday, Feb. 5;
• Dresden High HOSA to attend state competition in Nashville Feb. 27-March 2;
• Westview Beta to attend state convention in Nashville Feb. 14-16;
• Dresden High FFA to attend the Memphis Mid-South Farm and Gin Show Feb. 25 and
• Gleason High Beta to attend state convention in Nashville Feb. 14-16.
The next meeting of the Weakley County School Board is planned for 5 p.m. on Thursday, March 3 at Martin Middle School.