No injuries in Sharon house fire on Friday

No injuries in Sharon house fire on Friday
No injuries in Sharon house fire on Friday

NEW YEAR’S EVE FIRE – A fire which was induced by a propane tank explosion left this Sharon home in shambles on Rock Hill Road. The two people in the house managed to escape without injury.

The Press 1/4

A gas-induced explosion wiped out the back end of a house, but spared two lives in Sharon on New Year’s Eve. At 3:06 p.m. on Friday afternoon, the Sharon Fire Department was dispatched to a structure fire at 527 Rock Hill Rd. in Sharon. The caller stated that there had been an explosion and the house was on fire. 

SFD officers responded and arrived on the scene five minutes later, finding the house to have heavy smoke coming from the rear of the structure. Within minutes of arrival, Chief Gary Eddings stated that the fire had been knocked down and was under control. 

Firefighters found the entire back of the house destroyed from the explosion. There were two people in the back of the house when the explosion took place and they were able to escape without any injuries. Eddings stated that the people were very lucky to have escaped without any injuries and admitted that the noise of the explosion was heard from miles away. 

The two escapees stated that their landlord had come out and hooked up a propane tank outside the house earlier in order heat the building. 

The landlord was unaware that the pipe had a T off under the house, went to the back porch and came up through the floor feeding nothing but the house full of gas. The house residents admitted that they smelled gas prior to the explosion. 

The SFD and Sidonia Fire Department responded with four engines and 20 firemen. Eddings stated that there was major damage to the structure mainly due to the explosion. 

Leave a Comment