Meet the candidates through WLJT-tv
Posted: Friday, October 8, 2010 10:34 am
WLJT, Channel 11 will offer voters a chance to learn more about the two candidates for Tennessee Governor. A Conversation with Mike McWherter: Election Edition and A Conversation with Bill Haslam: Election Edition will air across the state on the Tennessee public television stations.
Nashville producer Tim Weeks and interviewer Vicki Yates (Nashville’s NewsChannel 5) recently visited with the two candidates in their homes and asked the questions, “Who is Republican Bill Haslam?” and “Who is Democrat Mike McWherter?” In these two landmark half-hour programs, Yates finds out by asking the questions that every Tennessean wants to ask. Throughout the two 30-minute shows, the candidates talk about where they are from, their parents, their values and influences.
They also talk about their public records, the highlights of their campaigns and what they hope to achieve if elected in November.
In addition, the candidates’ wives, Crissy Haslam and Mary Jane McWherter, reveal how the couples met, what attracted them to each other and what has made their marriages work.
“There’s much more to a candidate than just his or her political views,” said Weeks. “With these two conversations, we learn more about what makes these candidates tick and how their backgrounds and environments affect what kind of leaders they’ve become.”
“An important mission for public television,” said Michael J. LaBonia, Tennessee Public Television Council (TPTC) Chairman, “is to inform citizens, helping them be more engaged voters. The position of Governor is the highest position in the state. It’s essential that our viewers be prepared when casting their votes, and it’s an essential role of public television to help prepare them.”
• A Conversation with Mike McWherter — 9:30 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 3; 9 p.m. Friday, Oct. 8 and 8 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 19.
• A Conversation with Bill Haslam — 8:30 p.m. Friday, Oct. 8; 9:30 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 10 and 8 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 26.
• NewsMakers: Donn Janes — 9:30 p.m. Friday, Oct. 8; 3 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 10 and 9:30 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 17
• NewsMakers: Mark Rawles — 9:30 p.m. Friday, Oct. 15; 3 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 17 and 9:30 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 24
• NewsMakers: Sen. Roy Herron — 9:30 p.m. Friday, Oct. 22; 3 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 24 and 9:30 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 31
• NewsMakers: Don McLeary & Sen. Lowe Finney — 9:30 p.m. Friday, Oct. 29 and 3 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 31