Vehicle thefts on the rise; tips offered
Posted: Wednesday, September 1, 2010 10:26 pm
Fulton Police Chief Terry Powell hopes local residents will take precautions against vehicle theft in the wake of several vehicles being stolen in Fulton over the past two months.
Powell said four vehicles were stolen in Fulton during the past two months, with three of them since recovered and suspects charged in the thefts.
The fourth vehicle — a black four-door 2006 GMC truck with Kentucky license plate 188ECA — was stolen Saturday from the residence at 1006 Dogwood in Fulton. Anyone who sees the vehicle or who has information on its whereabouts is asked to contact local law enforcement.
In the meantime, Powell said he hopes local residents will seriously heed his suggestions for five easy ways to prevent vehicle thefts. They include:
• Never leave valuables in plain view inside the vehicle.
• Never leave a running vehicle unattended.
• Never leave keys inside the vehicle or on the vehicle.
• Never leave the windows down or vehicle doors unlocked when it is parked.
• Keep luggage and purses in the trunk and out of sight.
“If someone really wants to steal your vehicle, they’ll find a way,” Powell said. “But why make it easy for them?”
Published in The Messenger 9.1.10