Williams exec responds to ‘raid’ rumors

Williams exec responds to ‘raid’ rumors

Posted: Wednesday, August 25, 2010 9:05 pm
By: Chris Menees, Staff Reporter

By CHRIS MENEES
Staff Reporter
No “raid” was conducted and no arrests were made Monday at Williams Sausage Co. near Woodland Mills.
That’s the official word from company president Roger Williams.
In reality, Williams Sausage released 61 people from employment after receiving notification by mail from the Department of Homeland Security that, after reviewing I-9 Forms (Employment Eligibility Verification), these individuals appeared, at the present time, not to be authorized to work in the United States.
The individuals in question were informed they must present other documentation that would permit them to work in the U.S. or Williams Sausage must terminate their employment.
Williams said these individuals were hired “in good faith” by Williams Sausage based upon the documents presented for eligibility verification.
“We regret having to take this action, but given the determination by the Department of Homeland Security, we have no choice,” he said. “There was no ‘raid’ on our business and no arrests were made.”
Williams issued the statements in the form of a press release after being contacted by The Messenger Tuesday afternoon. The Messenger and at least one other area news outlet had received tips from citizens alleging that a raid had been conducted and many rumors had circulated throughout the community the past two days.
Local authorities initially contacted by The Messenger early Tuesday were not aware of any such action at the company’s facility and media sources with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement — the largest investigative agency in the U.S. Department of Homeland Security — confirmed no raid had occurred.
Staff Reporter Chris Menees may be contacted by e-mail at cmenees@ucmessenger.com.
Published in The Messenger 8.25.10

Leave a Comment