Skip to content

Hornets’ big plays bury Bulldogs in jamboree

Hornets’ big plays bury Bulldogs in jamboree
Hornets’ big plays bury Bulldogs in jamboree | Gleason Bulldogs, football, Dalton Teeter, South Gibson Hornets, James Owen, QUincy Walden, Carlos Walden

Out in front — Gleason’s Dalton Teeter (right) tries to win a footrace with South Gibson Hornet defenders during the Bulldogs’ jamboree loss Friday night. Gleason will open its 2010 season at home vs. Fulton City on Friday night. Photo by Sar
When a hornet feels threatened, it releases a pheromone to alert the rest of the nest to come to its aid in containing the attacker.
This past Friday night, the Gleason Bulldogs were able to hold off the majority of a small group of South Gibson Hornets, but found themselves stung multiple times by a quarterback and running back duo and eventually lost, 20-14, in the second annual Star Physical Therapy Football Jamboree in Lexington.
In only their second year of existence, the Hornets were led by the speedy combination of sophomores Carlos Walden and Quincy Walden who had a hand in all three South Gibson touchdowns.
Starting on offense from their own 30, the Hornets got five yards on the ground from Quincy Walden and 20 from all-purpose back Avery Phillips. After being pulled back five on an illegal procedure penalty and seven on a sack, Carlos Walden found his target through the air on a 57-yard touchdown pass. The kick put South Gibson up 7-0 with 7:54 to go in the half.
For Gleason, James Owen opened with an eight-yard run. Dalton Teeter swept around the right side for a 20-yard gain, but Conner Verdell’s pass was intercepted and the Dawgs had to switch back to D.
This time, however, the Hornets were contained and turned the ball over on downs.
David Spellings gained five yards on the ground, Owen lost the ball, but recovered it and Sam Cosby picked up the first down. Teeter rushed for nine on a handoff, but Gleason momentarily lost its momentum on a holding call. Verdell picked up five on a scramble, Spellings gained eight on a sweep and Verdell found Blake Taylor racing down the left sideline for a 33-yard pass play down to the South Gibson 4. From there, Owen punched the ball in the end zone. Teeter was stopped on the conversion, but Gleason cut the deficit to 7-6 with 32.6 seconds left in the first half.
At the 30, South Gibson was handed five yards on an offsides penalty by Gleason. Quincy Walden ran for 17 and Carlos Walden gained four before the half ended.
The Hornets needed just one play — a 44-yard run from Quincy Walden — to open the second half with a touchdown. The kick missed the mark, but the lead increased to 13-6 with 9:51 on the clock.
Back on offense, Verdell’s pass fell incomplete. Spellings picked up seven yards on the ground and Owen gained 10 and a first down. Verdell found Spellings for a short pass and Teeter spotted holes in the defense and ran for 30 yards on two carries. Spellings took a handoff seven yards and Owen finished the job with a 10-yard carry to the end zone. Teeter tacked on two and Gleason took the lead, 14-13, with 3:30 left.
The very next play, however, saw Quincy Walden bounce and roll off tackles on the way to a 70-yard TD run. The extra point made the score 20-14.
With one minute to go, Verdell was sacked for a 10-yard loss, but completed passes to Taylor and Nick Poore for 16 and 21 yards, respectively. His last attempt to Austin Perry down the left sideline fell incomplete, however, and the clock ran out on a 20-14 South Gibson victory.
Owen finished with 36 yards and two touchdowns on five carries. Verdell was 4-of-6 passing for 72 yards and one interception. Taylor had two catches for 49 yards. Quincy Walden picked up 129 yards and two TDs on five carries. Carlos Walden was 1-of-2 passing with a 57-yard touchdown strike.

Leave a Comment