Local SCV camp meets
Posted: Friday, July 16, 2010 8:02 pm
The Gen. Otho French Strahl Camp 176 Sons of Confederate Veterans met recently at the Obion County Museum on Edwards Street in Union City. There were 10 members in attendance.
The meeting was called to order by Cmdr. Joe Dillon, who led the Pledge of Allegiance to the U.S. flag and the SCV flag salute. Chaplain Mike Alexander led the opening prayer.
In the absence of a guest speaker, several items of camp business were discussed, including:
• Recruiting new members and obtaining contact information.
• Camp, national and division membership dues being due and payable.
• Cleaning up of the old cemetery, across from Memorial Gardens, where a Confederate soldier is buried.
• Discussing the purchase of the Civil War cannon and its transport from Virginia to Trimble. A work day needs to be scheduled for installing a concrete pad.
• Purchasing insurance for Parks Cemetery Ridge Confederate Memorial Plaza.
• Reminding members of the birthday of Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest. It was on Tuesday.
The Sons of Confederate Veterans is the nation’s largest Southern heritage, history and honor organization open to all male descendants of a Confederate soldier who served honorably in the War for Southern Independence.
For more information call 1-800-MYSOUTH or visit the website scvcamp176.org.
Published in The Messenger 7.16.10