UC Police: Obey laws on fireworks
Posted: Monday, July 5, 2010 9:06 pm
Union City police are encouraging residents to obey city laws which prohibit fireworks use and to exercise safety.
Officers from the Union City Police Department will be enforcing the local ordinance which prohibits the sale or use of fireworks in Union City.
Union City Police Chief Joe Garner said alternate locations in the county should be utilized to discharge fireworks and residents should follow these safety rules:
• Use fireworks outdoors only.
• Obey local laws.
• Always have water handy, preferably a hose or a bucket of water.
• Only use fireworks as intended. Don’t try to alter them or combine them.
• Never relight a “dud” firework. Wait 20 minutes and then soak it in a bucket of water.
• Use common sense. Spectators should keep a safe distance from the shooter and the shooter should wear safety glasses.
• Alcohol and fireworks do not mix. Have a “designated shooter.”
• Only people over the age of 12 should be allowed to handle any type of sparklers.
• Do not ever use homemade fireworks or illegal explosives. They can kill. Report illegal explosives to the local fire or police department.
Published in The Messenger 7.2.10