|Convicted serial rapist requests relief from conviction |
|Posted: Wednesday, June 23, 2010 11:46 am |
| CONVICTION RELIEF – Confessed serial rapist Bruce Tuck has filed a petition for relief from conviction or sentence in Weakley County. Tuck is currently serving a 60-year sentence in prison after entering 19 guilty pleas for home invastion rapes last year. File photo |
Even after admitting in court that not a day had gone by that he didn’t regret what he had done in December 2009, confessed serial rapist Bruce Tuck has filed a petition for relief from conviction or sentence in Weakley County.
Tuck is currently serving a 60-year prison sentence after pleading guilty to 19 of the 22 felony counts lodged against him last year. DNA evidence eventually linked Tuck to three home invasion rapes in Martin last summer.
The media dubbed the suspect as the “big-bellied rapist” when authorities searched for a man with a large belly and brandishing a handgun during the home invasion sex attacks in Weakley and Shelby counties last year.
His convictions in Weakley County include aggravated rapes, aggravated kidnappings with a deadly weapon and aggravated robberies with a deadly weapon.
According to a petition filed by Tuck, he is challenging his guilty pleas and his 60-year prison sentence.
“This is something that he prepared himself,” District Attorney General and prosecutor in the case against Tuck, Tommy Thomas said in a phone conversation Monday.
Thomas said this type of petition is not uncommon for cases this serious in nature.
“This was something that was expected once a person is convicted and then sent to prison for an extensive period of time,” Thomas added.
Tuck has been appointed Union city attorney John Miles. Thomas said the next step in the process is for his attorney to prepare an amendment or similar petition and present it to the DA’s office. Thomas would then provide an “answer” to the claims and the court would step in from there.
Tuck alleges in his petition that he was coerced into providing a confession with food. The convicted rapist claims in the petition that he was placed on a lettuce-only diet while he was jailed at the Weakley County Detention Center.
He also claims his public defender refused to allow him to enter a plea of not guilty by reason of mental disease or defect.
In a phone conversation to The Press office in November 2009, Tuck admitted he wished the hearing date would be expedited in an effort to give family members and victims closure in the case.
Weakley County Sheriff Mike Wilson said on Monday that the allegations lodged by Tuck against the WCSD are “bogus.”
“We expected this though. It is rare that these types of petitions are not filed,” Wilson commented.
A status conference for his petition is scheduled for Sept. 2 in circuit court. Tuck is being housed in Hardeman County Correctional Facility in Whiteville pending felony charges in Shelby County.