Skip to content

Renters may be eligible for flood assistance

Renters may be eligible for flood assistance

Posted: Friday, June 11, 2010 9:07 pm

NASHVILLE — Renters in Tennessee who lost their homes or personal property as a result of Tennessee’s severe storms, straight-line winds, tornadoes and flooding between April 30 and May 18 may be eligible for assistance from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), but must register by July 6.
Regardless of whether someone rented an apartment, mobile home or house before the storm, renters whose homes were made uninhabitable due to severe storm damage may qualify for assistance from FEMA’s Individual and Households Program (IHP).
This program offers two kinds of housing assistance that target eligible renters:
• Funds to rent alternative housing for a limited period of time while repairs are made to their dwelling.
• Free assistance in finding new rental property.
Renters may also be eligible for Other Needs Assistance (ONA), de-signed to help survivors with uninsured, but necessary, expenses and serious needs caused by the disaster.
ONA money may be used for:
• Disaster-related medical and dental expenses.
• Disaster-related funeral and burial expenses.
• Replacement or repair of necessary personal property lost or damaged in the disaster including clothing; household items such as room furnishings or appliances; and tools and equipment required by the self-employed for their work.
• Primary vehicles and approved second vehicles damaged by the disaster.
Tennesseans, in the counties designated for individual assistance, may apply online anytime at or by calling the FEMA helpline at 1-800-621-3362 (FEMA) or (TTY) 800-462-7585 for those with speech and hearing disabilities. The helpline operates from 7 a.m.-10 p.m. and assistance is available in all languages.
Published in The Messenger 6.11.10


Leave a Comment