Pleasant Valley FCE Club meets
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 8:01 pm
The Pleasant Valley Family and Community Education Club met recently at the Pleasant Valley United Methodist Church fellowship hall.
The meeting was called to order by president Barbara Parker. The thought for the day — “Obstacles are those frightful things you are when you take your eyes off the goal” by Hannah More — was read.
Members answered roll call by telling about the best time they had as a child. Some answers included getting together with family at a park and playing until almost dusk; going to an aunt’s house and riding in the trailer because everyone would not fit in the car; and chilling watermelons and playing games, such as the Old Gray Mare, with peanuts.
The devotion was given by Catharine Williams from Psalm1:36. She said, “Living with someone or knowing someone who collects junk is hard. We can clear the junk from our places of living and from our lives. Just focus on the good things of life and what God has in store for us and we can clear our minds, hearts and dwelling.”
It was noted 10 cards had been made and sent for Day of the Family on May 15. Dress revue is set for June 17 at the Obion County Farm Bureau, while a tatting workshop will be held June 24 at the Obion County Museum.
Obion County University of Tennessee Extension agent Benita Giffin presented a program from a booklet entitled, “Kitchen Companion — Your Food Handbook.” She told about how foodbourne illnesses start when people leave items out on the counter too long. She said even tea will cause someone to get sick.
Mrs. Giffin said people should not thaw meat on the counter, but defrost it in microwave instead. People should also get rid of spoiled food which has mold or other bad looking areas on it. Mrs. Giffin said a pathogen called Campy-lobacterjejuni comes from contaminated water or raw milk and can cause fever or muscle ache and can even spread into the bloodstream if it is not treated.
The booklet contains a chart for preparing meats and tells ways to store food. It also states food stored in the freezer which has freezer burn should be thrown out.
The next meeting will be held June 16.
Published in The Messenger 5.31.10