|Rescue Squad Week observed in state |
|Posted: Wednesday, May 26, 2010 8:02 pm |
|This week has been designated as Rescue Squad Week by Tennessee Gov. Phil Bredesen. |
The Obion County Rescue Squad was organized in 1964 as the Volunteer Emergency Radio Unit Inc. The charter members were Chuck Davis, Harold Barnes, Montel Lyell, Artell Harding, Bill Norman and Houston Corbett.
The group met as CB Radio Club at Barnes’ garage. The group of community-minded men wanted to make a difference in their community. They started with a 1949 Dodge panel van and a 12-foot jon boat and a desire to help.
With a lot of hard work and the support of the United Way of Obion County, the squad has evolved with a name change and a permanent home and equipment changes in 1974. The squad headquarters is located at 304 South Sunswept Drive in Union City.
Today, there are 36 dedicated volunteers. Services include responding to vehicle accidents, vehicle fires and missing persons on land and in water. In 2006, Rescue Squad services were expanded to include emergency medical services (first responders).
Equipment today includes a dedicated crash truck, a combined crash/fire truck, dedicated brush fire truck, a utility SUV, two boats and four wheelers. The squad has seven members who are lifetime members of the Tennessee Association of Rescue Squads. This number is second only to one other squad in the state.
The squad has a group of dedicated women who are available to respond to call-outs if they are needed. They help us to raise funds and to support the squad. These women are known as the Obion County Crewettes.
Published in The Messenger 5.26.10