Skip to content

Notes from Nashville – 5.13.10

Notes from Nashville – 5.13.10

Posted: Friday, May 14, 2010 2:18 pm
By: Mark Maddox, State Representative

Driving into Nashville this week, I witnessed the devastation of the flood. Many buildings and homes were under water.
We have had over 20 confirmed fatalities in the state. The Coast Guard and the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency rescued nearly 600 since the weather event.
Statewide, the Red Cross reports opening over 28 shelters.
Many shelters in Nashville have reported maximum capacity.
I am proud of the response of Tennesseans. Those little affected by the flood have shown their “Volunteer Spirit” and done things to help those suffering most.
Weakley and Carroll County residents experienced some damage, but many of our fellow Tennesseans endured one of the worst natural disasters in our state’s recent history.
Now is the time to extend a hand to those in need and show the rest of this nation why we are called the Volunteer State.
The waters are finally receding. The work to clean up and rebuild has begun. The federal government has declared many Tennessee counties federal disaster areas, including Carroll.
At last word, Weakley County’s emergency management officials were continuing to assess damage. If enough damage is reported, the plan is to request a similar declaration for Weakley County.
Individuals and families in federally declared disaster areas like Carroll County who have been directly impacted by the recent storms are encouraged to follow these steps as they begin the process of rebuilding:
• Step 1 – Contact your homeowner’s insurance first to see if it may cover some of the damage done by the storm.
• Step 2 – Those who have flood insurance may find that their policy covers the costs of repairing a damaged home and replacing destroyed belongings.
• Step 3 – Individuals and families forced from there homes staying in a hotel or even with a relative should be aware that FEMA Housing Assistance is available to cover some of these costs.
You will have to register for assistance with FEMA at or 1-800-621-FEMA (3362).
• Step 4 – Citizens may be able to apply, through the Small Business Administration (SBA), for a federally subsidized SBA loan.
These low-interest rate loans may be up to $200,000 to repair or rebuild your home and $40,000 to replace lost possessions even if you don’t own a small business. You may apply for an SBA loan at or 1-800-659-2955.
The SBA will then arrange to come to your home and inspect the damages.
• Step 5 – Those unable to obtain an SBA loan may apply for other FEMA Assistance at or 1-800-621-FEMA (3362).
This assistance will only cover costs to bring your home up to a minimally habitable standard.
FEMA will (separate from SBA) come to your home to inspect the damages.
More information may be found in this edition of the paper or online at
If you have other questions, please call my office at 1-800-449-8366, ext. 17847, and we will try to help.
Work in the House continued this week despite the flood. We are moving toward the session’s completion. All committees except Finance are closed.
The administration will present the amendment to their budget proposal next week and Republicans in the Senate have promised to reveal a plan, too.
Then, the House and Senate will begin finalizing the budget and finish our work for this year.
WCP 5.13.10


Leave a Comment