Skip to content

Land improvement public meeting set

Land improvement public meeting set

Posted: Wednesday, November 26, 2008 6:25 am

  Obion Countians will have an opportunity to directly influence how the Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP) cost-share dollars are spent when a public meeting is held Dec. 3,

The meeting will begin at 10 a.m. at the Union City USDA Service Center at 1216-B Stad Ave. in Union City. Landowners will be able to discuss their conservation issues and concerns. “This meeting should result in some ideas for priorities in the county to utilize the money available,” a spokesman said. There will be a minimum of $50,000 allocated to Obion County landowners this year. 

The Environmental Quality Incentives Program is administered by the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) to install conservation measures on farmland that protect water quality and decrease soil erosion. Nearly every type of land is eligible for some aspect of EQIP however the emphasis is on grassland and cropland. There are a number of practices geared toward livestock operations for area cattle and poultry producers that may be of some interest. Cropland conversion to grass is available for new producers or for established operations that want to expand their pasture or hayland base. Producers who want to rotational graze or want to exclude livestock from streams may qualify for cross fencing or exclusion fencing.

Additional practices available include: water troughs, pipeline and heavy use areas. The heavy use areas are gravel pads installed around water troughs and can be installed at hay feeding areas. Livestock waste utilization and storage practices are also available through this program.

There are numerous erosion control practices available under EQIP including: erosion control structures, grassed waterways and critical area planting. Also available are forestry, irrigation, wildlife and invasive species practices.

For a full listing of available practices and program guidelines, interested landowners and producers should contact the local NRCS office located at the USDA Service Center in Union City. The office phone number is 885-6480, ext 3.
Published in The Messenger 11.25.08

Leave a Comment