Skip to content

Beware of ‘spooky’ cider

Beware of ‘spooky’ cider

Posted: Monday, October 13, 2008 9:06 pm

Not all fruit ciders are pasteurized and those that aren’t may contain harmful bacteria. People at a higher risk for serious foodborne illness, including young children, older adults and people with weakened immune systems, should be careful to drink only pasteurized cider.        
Unpasteurized cider is not always labeled. So if you or someone in your family is in one of the at-risk groups and you cannot determine if a cider has been pasteurized to destroy harmful bacteria, either don’t use the product or bring it to a boil to kill any possible harmful bacteria.
Published in The Messenger 10.13.08

Leave a Comment