Fire destroys house
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2008 7:21 pm
The Messenger. 09.29.08
Five of Obion County’s municipal fire departments worked together Friday afternoon to extinguish a fire that destroyed a home in a rural area near Hornbeak.
The fire was reported shortly before 1 p.m. at Mrs. Jack Kent’s residence at 1385 Cleve Duke Road, about five miles outside Hornbeak, according to Hornbeak Fire Chief Bob Reavis.
The Hornbeak Volunteer Fire Department was dispatched as the primary fire department, with the Troy and Samburg volunteer fire departments automatically dispatched for mutual aid to provide tankers.
Reavis said the house was fully involved by fire after firefighters arrived on the scene. Firefighters found vehicles in the yard and could not immediately account for the occupants of the house. Additional manpower was then requested from the Obion and Rives volunteer fire departments.
The occupants of the home were later located out of town and were not home at the time of the fire, according to Reavis. The house was a complete loss.
Fire officials said after Mrs. Kent arrived at the scene, she suffered some pains and required medical attention. Both the Obion County Rescue Squad and Regional Emergency Medical Services ambulance responded to the fire scene to assist.
Reavis said the fire operation was a perfect illustration of cooperation among the local fire departments. He said each made numerous trips with tankers in order to shuttle water, with close to 20,000 gallons of water pumped during the operation.
“This was an opportunity for the departments to come together in an operation like this,” Reavis said. “We all worked together.”
Firefighters were on the scene about five hours.